South Western High rallied late in regulation to force overtime before surging in overtime to defeat Dallastown, 58-56, in YAIAA Division I boys' basketball action on Senior Night Tuesday at South Western High School.

South Western (15-6, 12-3 YAIAA I) held a 56-53 lead late in overtime before the Wildcats' Jonny Sutton buried a 3-pointer from the left wing off an assist from Mike Gibbs.

Without a timeout, the Mustangs attempted to rush up the floor to attempt a game-winning shot, but Gibbs was whistled for a foul on Scott Hess with two seconds to go.

Hess made both free throws, and a desperate shot by Dallastown from three-quarters court was well short.

"Scott is a seasoned junior," South Western head coach Nate Brodbeck said. "He played a little as a freshman, played more as a sophomore and has been a starter for us this year. We have a lot of confidence in him."

Dallastown (13-9, 9-6) fell behind 20-5 early in the second quarter, but steadily worked its way back. The Wildcats cut their halftime deficit to 29-21 before finally taking the lead on Mitch Small's 3-pointer late in the third quarter. The visitors took a 37-36 lead into the fourth quarter.

That lead didn't last long as Mustang senior Mike Duffy knocked down a trifecta to put the Mustangs back in front, but the Wildcats weren't about to go away.


Dallastown took the lead back on Ben Doorn's jumper from the right baseline with 6:28 left in regulation, and the Wildcats led by as many as four in the fourth quarter.

However, inconsistent free-throw shooting plagued Dallastown down the stretch and kept the Mustangs alive as the Wildcats hit just 3-of-8 from the charity stripe over the last three minutes of regulation.

Trailing 45-43, Duffy was sent to the foul line for two shots with 0:33 to go in regulation. He made the first, but missed the second. Parker Bean gobbled up the offensive board and scored with a stickback to put South Western in front, 46-45.

Doorn's 1-of-2 trip to the foul line tied it with 0:17 left before a South Western timeout with 0:11 left.

Jordan Smith had a chance to win it at the buzzer, but his shot was off the mark from the right baseline.

"We looked good early and our defensive energy really sparked us," Brodbeck said. "They're a good team, though, and they fought back."

Playing their final regular season home game, Duffy and Bean did what has been the norm for most of their four-year varsity careers. They led the team on the scoreboard as Duffy connected on four 3-pointers and put in 21 points to lead the way, while Bean scored 20 points, grabbed 12 boards and blocked three shots.

"I can't say enough good things about Mike and Parker," Brodbeck said. "They've meant so much to us for the past four years. Them, and the other seniors, Jerome (Robinson) and Austin (Cook), have brought a lot to our program."

Bean has moved within 44 points behind 2008 graduate Chad Tipton for the program's all-time scoring lead, with the Mustangs being guaranteed at least two more games as they have qualified for the YAIAA and District 3 Class AAAA tournaments.

Small led the Wildcats with 17 points, and Ethan Sutton came off the bench with 12 before fouling out with 0:33 left in regulation.


   Gibbs 4 0-1 9, Mitch Small 5 4-9 17, Ethan Sutton 5 1-4 12, Jonny Sutton 4 0-0 10, Henry 0 0-0 0, Doorn 2 4-6 8, Ludwig 0 0-0 0. Totals 20 9-20 56.
   Geiman 0 2-22, McKercher 1 1-2 3, Smith 1 0-0 3, Cook 1 1-2 3, Robinson 1 0-0 2, Parker Bean 8 4-6 20, Mike Duffy 5 7-10 21, Hess 1 2-2 4. Totals 18 17-24 58. 
Dallastown     5  16  16    9  10 -- 56
South Western   12  17    7  10  12 -- 58
   3-point goals -- Dallastown 7 (Small 3, J. Sutton 2, E. Sutton, Gibbs); South Western 5 (Duffy 4, Smith).
   JV score -- South Western, 48-37.