The game between YAIAA division leaders went as expected even if the weather was not ideal.

The Dallastown and West York boys' lacrosse teams went back-and-forth in the rainy and blustery conditions Monday with the Wildcats gaining an 11-9 win.

"We anticipated a tough one coming in here," Dallastown coach Chris Andrews said. "They're undefeated in their division and we're undefeated in our division. We just got to keep going."

The Wildcats (12-0-0, 5-0-0 Division I) trailed by a goal entering the fourth quarter, but quickly turned the game around.

Jake Mitchell's fourth goal, at 11:01 in the fourth quarter, tied the score. The junior had a game-high five goals and assisted on three others.

The Wildcats took the lead for good off a great defensive-turned-offensive play by Joe Didusch. The junior was just returning to action from the sideline and intercepted a pass in the West York zone.

Didusch raced down the right side of the field and beat West York goalie Jordan Lombardo at 9:05, giving the visitors a 9-8 lead.

"That was a great play by Joe. Great anticipation of where the ball was going," Andrews said.

Following another interception by Didusch, who had two goals and one assist, the junior passed to Mitchell. He found Tanner Ierley, who put Dallastown ahead by two goals at 6:28. Ierley finished the day with three goals.

"I think we realized that they were sliding quick," Mitchell said. "We just had to get the fast pass off.


Quick passes were working today. At first we didn't realize it, but then at the end we started getting those fast passes in."

West York's Klayton Garman, who had three goals and one assist, made it a 10-9 game at 3:16, scoring with his team a man down.

Mitchell's final goal just eight seconds later capped the scoring and secured the Dallastown win.

"We've been in three really tight games, and it's upsetting that we don't come out on top, but ultimately we play really hard," West York coach Dan Quickel said. "We feel that we keep getting better every game."

West York (7-3-0, 5-0-0 Division II) got off to a fast start, jumping out to a 3-0 lead, only to see Dallastown score four unanswered goals to end the first period.

The runs of goals continued in the second period, with the Bulldogs netting all three goals of the frame to hold a 6-4 halftime lead.

"We knew coming in, they're the cream," Quickel said. "We were just looking to make sure we could stay with them. We did jump on them, but ultimately they kept chipping away and kudos to them. They didn't get down."

In the second half, the Wildcats outscored the Bulldogs 7-3 to stay undefeated. The Wildcats scored four straight goals, which spanned the third and fourth quarters.

"It's tough to play in this kind of weather for both teams. West York did a great job. They've got a great offensive team and played well, defensively," Andrews said. "We hadn't had to come back yet from behind this season, so that was a good test for our boys to see what kind of character we had."

Tanner Gerace scored three goals and had an assist for West York. Jordan Lombardo finished with 12 saves.

Trevor Zero made seven saves for Dallastown.
Dallastown  4  0  3  4 -- 11
West York  3  3  2  1 --   9

   Dallastown goals -- Jacob Mitchell 4, Tanner Ierley 3, Joseph Didusch 2, Patrick Conroy.
   Dallastown assists -- Mitchell 3, David Dygert, Conroy, Didusch.
   West York goals -- Klayton Garman 3, Tanner Gerace 3, Nick Wilker 2, Forrest Cherry.
   West York assists -- Garman, Gerace, Wilker, Steven Wilson, Cherry.
   Shots on goal -- Dt 39, WY 23.
   Goalies -- Dt, Trevor Zero (7 saves); WY, Jordan Lombardo (12 saves).
   JV score -- West York 5, Dallastown 4.