It wasn't the ideal week, and it wasn't a perfectly played game, but Bermudian Springs' 33-7 YAIAA Division III football win on Monday night was exactly the result head coach Jon Defoe was looking for.

"At the end of the night, it's about winning and moving on," Defoe said.

Bermudian has done just that 28 consecutive times during the regular season, a streak that started with a win against Biglerville on Nov. 5, 2010.

The Eagles had to overcome major offensive turbulence on Monday night, as they turned the b all over three times, but their defense came up with five takeaways and a touchdown while holding the Green Knights to 147 total yards.

"Each season has a different feel, and each team takes on its own identity," Defoe said. "We're becoming a team that's got to win with our defense."

The Eagles' defense set up the first score of the game under four minutes into the contest.

On the second play from scrimmage, Mason Flickinger threw a deep ball that was intercepted by Alex Orwig leaping forward at the Bermudian 49.

Orwig weaved his way to the Fairfield 18, and five plays later, Ted Marines hit Austin Hartzell in the end zone on the back end of a roll-out to the right. Hartzell fought his way back to the ball and caught it, laying down to secure the catch.

The extra point was wide right, leaving it at 6-0.


Bermudian then forced a Fairfield punt, but Orwig fell down and the ball hit off of him, with Chase Senseney recovering at the Eagles' 20.

From 1 yard out, Nick Mort pounded home his 16th touchdown of the year, the first touchdown Fairfield scored in the first half in ten all-time meetings with Bermudian. Brandon Hummel's extra point gave the Green Knights a 7-6 lead.

Bermudian shoved the ball down Fairfield's throat on the ensuing drive, but Marines' pass from the Fairfield 42 was intercepted at the 13 by David Stone.

After a punt gave the Eagles the ball, a 62-yard pass play from Marines to Hartzell set them up at the Fairfield 6.

The Green Knights, however, came up with a goal-line stand, with Cody Anders stopping Colton Dull on fourth down.

Two plays later, Briton Shelton intercepted Flickinger and returned the ball to the 12.

Ryan Markle ran in a sweep left from three yards out to make it 13-7.

"We gave it away," Fairfield head coach Darwin Seiler said. "You can't turn it over that many times and expect to win. Other than that, we played them toe-to-toe."

Marines hit Orwig with a 43 yard pass just before half to make it 20-7. Shelton pounded in a short score in the third, and Aaron Rebert picked off a screen pass at Fairfield's goal line late in the fourth to provide the final margin.

Fairfield 7 0 0 0 -- 7
Bermudian 6 14 6 7 -- 33

First Quarter

BeS -- Austin Hartzell 8 pass from Ted Marines (kick failed), 8:56

F -- Nick Mort 1 run (Brandon Hummel kick), 5:00

Second Quarter

BeS -- Ryan Markle 3 run (Aaron Rebert kick), 7:07

BeS -- Alex Orwig 43 pass from Marines (Rebert kick), 1:44

Third Quarter

BeS -- Briton Shelton 2 run (kick failed), 7:12

Fourth Quarter

BeS -- Rebert interception in end zone (Rebert kick), 2:12


First downs 8 15

Rushes-yards 35-112 43-168

Passing 5-12-3 5-9-2

Passing yards 35 145

Total yards 147 313

Punts 4-38.3 1-36.0

Fumbles-lost 2-2 1-1

Penalties-yards 4-20 5-30

Individual statistics

Rushing -- F, Nick Mort 21-93, Dalton Carbaugh 4-27, Tyler Karstetter 2-(-1), Mason Flickinger 8-(-7). BeS, Colton Dull 18-74, Ryan Markle 7-41, Briton Shelton 14-35, Michael Ogle 3-19, Collin Weigle 1-(-1).

Passing -- F, Flickinger 5-12-3-35, Karstetter 0-0-0-0. BeS, Ted Marines 5-9-2-145, Weigle 0-0-0-0.

Receiving -- F, Chase Senseney 5-35. BeS, Austin Hartzell 2-70, Alex Orwig 1-43, Ogle 1-18, Shelton 1-14.